Six people were killed and more than 20 were hospitalized on Thursday after inhaling toxic fumes from an illegal chemical waste dump at a printing and dyeing plant in India, authorities said.
The disaster occurred around 3:45 am in the industrial city of Surat in the state of Gujarat. According to police and firefighters, workers were at the plant when some chemicals were dumped nearby.
“The chemicals were released from a cistern in a river near the factory, which could have reacted with another chemical in the water and created toxic gas,” the municipal fire department chief told Reuters.
According to Pareek, six workers were killed and 23 were hospitalized, with seven in critical condition and on ventilators. Sharad Singhal, a senior police official, stated that officers were investigating but had not yet made any arrests.
This is not an accidental gas leak. Dangerous chemicals were spilled when the incident occurred, ”he said.
In 1984, the Union Carbide Corporation-owned pesticide plant in Bhopal spilled methyl oceanite gas, killing over 5,000 people and causing the world’s greatest industrial disaster.
Bhopal is a neighborhood in the city of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
Bhopal and Ghuma, its adjacent area, were combined in 2015 and given municipality status.