The number of people killed in the floods in South Africa has risen to 395
South Africa, (PNB NEW). The government said on Thursday that flooding in South Africa’s Eastern Coast Province killed at least 395 people earlier this week, as rescuers continue to look for the missing amid additional rain expected for Friday.
Sihle Zikalala, Provincial Chairperson of the affected KwaZulu-Natal province, claimed in an online news conference that “a total of 40,723 people were afflicted, with 395 deaths confirmed.” He called the floods “an unprecedented disaster in our province’s and possibly our country’s history.” “However, it will be in billions of rand.”
Following heavy rains over the weekend and torrential rains on Monday, the province was declared a disaster area on Wednesday, resulting in flooding of homes, roads, and bridges, as well as some of Africa’s busiest ports.
Shipping was disrupted, shipping containers were swept away, and parts of the city were plundered.
‘This is terrible, this is terrible.’ We don’t mind. Sumi Malezol, an Isevingo slum resident, told Reuters she was looking for her corrugated iron shack, the contents of which had been stolen.
Another Isiphingo resident, Akhona Mfencane, who was seeking refuge at a community center, said she fled her home after the flooding and was left with nothing.
Mfencane was still waiting for government assistance on Thursday.
“The area is always swamping, but this time it was worse; we’ve never seen anything like it before,” Mfencane said.
The roads were washed out by deadly floods, leaving towns and villages without electricity and transport.